Present-day Haines was previously called Dtehshuh or “end of the trail” by the Chilkat Natives because they could carry their canoes from the trail they used to trade with the interior to here and save 20 miles of rowing around the Chilkat Peninsula. George Dickinson from the North West Trading Company first settled at Dtehshuh in 1879. Samuel Hall Young, a Presbyterian minister, was sent to the area in 1881 by request of the Natives Alaskans. The mission was named “Haines” in 1884 in honor of Francina E. Haines, the chairwoman of the committee that raised funds for its development. From 1898 to 1899, Haines served as a supply center for miners on the Dalton Trail. In 1899, gold was discovered 36 miles from Haines at the Porcupine District. By 1900, the trail declined due to the completion of the White Pass and Yukon Route railway in neighboring Skagway. In 1904, Fort William H. Seward was established by the U.S. Army and became the first fort in Alaska. It was renamed Chilkoot Barracks in 1922 and served as a supply point for some U.S. Army activities in Alaska. In 1946, it was deactivated and sold as surplus property . It was then renamed “Port Chilkoot,” thus forming the Port Chilkoot Company. Port Chilkoot was incorporated into a city in 1956 and in 1970 it merged with Haines into one municipality. In 1972, the fort was restored to it’s original name of Fort William H. Seward after being designated a National Historic Landmark. Haines became the southern terminal of the Haines-Fairbanks Pipeline which delivered petroleum to Fort Greely, Eielson Air Force Base, and Ladd Air Force Base from 1955 to 1973, when it was then retired due to deterioration. In 1972, the last of the canneries was closed due to declining fish stocks, however commercial fishing remains part of the local economy.