top of page
galena began as a seasonal athebascan fishing camp called henry's point and was established in 1918. it became a major supply point when ore mines opened up nearby in 1918 and 1919. in 1941 and 1942, a military air field was built nearby and in 1993 all military personnel were withdrawn. it was then used as a forward operating location but was officially closed in 2010 and is now controlled by the city of galena, the galena school district, and the alaska department of transportation. in 2013, the city was flooded when the yukon river was engorged by the spring breakup which effected 90% of the homes in the city. the city is still currently recovering with efforts from volunteer groups and the federal emergency management agency.
bottom of page